Sunday, February 5, 2012

I heart NYC (Day 3 of the 12 Days of Valentine's)

I'm getting this in right before mid night because I want to stick to my goal of a post per day.

It's been such a busy weekend, I hardly know where they go. Although, I must say I'm grateful to be busy with such great things.

Last night I had a show in the city at one of my favorite spots, Cafe Vivaldi. It's a small little restaurant that is a primarily a music venue. They have music every night, and every Monday night there is an open mic that is always (usually) packed to the max! That's where I met most of my dear singer-songwriter friends, and it's become a place that I will forever remember and love. I have a special place in my heart for Cafe Vivaldi as do many others.


I am grateful to all who came out last night, and most especially because I had expected on a Saturday night at 10pm, people would be a bit chatty (which would be expected...no big deal) and I was surprised to find that I had a full room of eyes and ears attentively listening to us. And yes...I say "us" because Naomi Steckman was playing with me on cello, and Johnny Finn joined with us on drums. It was a magical night, and the best part about it was that toward the end of the night we hit that "sweet spot." I don't know how else to call it, so lately I've been defining it as a "sweet spot" that you hit as a singer-songwriter and performer where you are just totally in the moment, and your audience is right there with you. It's a little hard to explain, but I'm beginning to find that that is when a night feels "magical," it's when you reach that "sweet spot," which is just being totally present and engulfed in the music. Look, I know that sounds a funny, but trust me, if you've felt it, you know what I'm talking about. So, it was a really great night and reminded me that I do heart New York (even on a cold February night).

No comments:

Post a Comment